Sunday 10 May 2015

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Title: Insurgent
Author: Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent Series
Genre: Dystopian
Rating: 5 out of 5



The second book in the Divergent series follows Tris after the Erudite have started a war between all of the factions. This book is a lot darker than the first. It deals a lot with the pain and guilt of Tris after events from Divergent. I enjoyed the darker side to this book and that we saw how weak Tris could be and that she was not perfect and made mistakes. This is something that I praise within a novel. Not every main character can be perfect, and she certainly wasn't. She acted on impulse and threatened her life. I was really invested into the characters life and I often dislike the main character of a book so I'm ecstatic I that I really did like Tris.

One thing I disliked was the relationship between Tris and Four. I really enjoyed their relationship in the first book, and really loved Four's character in Divergent. However, I felt that there was not much focus on Four, he was distant and they were often not speaking through a lot of this book! It got a little repetitive when Tris would do something impulsive and Four would not approve and then they would make up. I did like the connection they had, which did not fail to disappoint. It's a romance I cared about and wanted to work, which also surprised me. I'm the type of cynical reader who dislikes any couple actually put together!

The book revolves a lot around a mystery that Tris is desperate to solving, even willing to sacrifice relationships to find out this mystery which may or may not be important. The end of the book is absolutely perfect. I haven't read an ending as good as this for so long. I crave for more! It was poignant and I really was speechless after reading it. I look back and know it was kind of obvious, but what does that matter! It got me reading and wanting more.

I am really excited to read the final book as well as the film adaptation to Insurgent.

No comments:

Post a Comment