Sunday 10 May 2015

All I Know Now by Carrie Hope Fletcher

Title: All I Know Now: Wonderings and Reflections on Growing up Gracefully
Author: Carrie Hope Fletcher
Genre: Non-fiction
Rating: 3 out of 5



Carrie Hope Fletcher is an author, a vlogger, a singer, a songwriter and last but not least an actor. I  have been subscribed to Carrie on YouTube and I like her videos, her positivity, her determination and her outlook on life. I was curious about the book so I thought I'd go ahead and purchase it.

Firstly, you can really see the effort and love she has put into this book. A lot of people who have YouTube channels have been releasing books recently and this can always create a little bit of worry. Are they getting a book deal because it is a good idea or because there's guaranteed young buyers and therefore profit? I felt like this wasn't the case with Carrie, (and I'm not saying this is the case for others, it's just a question you may think about) possibly because of her love of books and well just how genuine she seems.

Going into the book, I knew it wasn't particularly aimed at my age group (I am 19), but rather young teens. This expectation fitted reality. Sure, things were relatable and I could see how much passion had been put into the book. However, it was mainly advice for young teenagers struggling at school. A lot of the issues are things that people any age could have, such as bullying or the internet, friendships and relationships. The advice was quite generic and simple, as well as being advice I know doesn't really make a difference to me. I felt I'd already learnt a lot of what she was saying. Of course, she couldn't really go more in-depth with her advice, because it needed to be relatable than to one specific problem and I totally understand that. I think this book is great for young teenagers and an easy read for those who are older and I think different types of people can get at least something out of the book.

I wish there had been more insight into her life. There were a few quirky and serious stories but I would have liked more. I guess that's because it's not an autobiography but a non-fiction help book. I did like the layout of her book, and once again the word "quirky" comes to mind, you could really see her personality in this book, due to things like the chapters being called acts and a finale.

Overall, I think this is a great book for teens and I would definitely recommend it to someone of the right age category. I have nothing bad to say about the book at all, I just don't think it was written for older people! You can really see how much she put into this and it's great to actually be able to see that. It's definitely a little pick-me-up kind of read and can really make you think about your mistakes and how to be a better person. She tried hard not to sound condescending or shove her opinions in your face, but just suggestions on how you could improve yourself or your life, including the helpful 'props' for help if anyone needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment